We at Peninsula Siding Company are proud to be named a James Hardie Elite Preferred Installer. James Hardie products are of superior quality and beauty, and when cared for properly, can protect your home for upwards of 100 years.
One thing you can do to be sure your James Hardie siding stays beautiful and strong is to properly clean it once or twice each year, depending on the weather conditions, air quality, and the landscaping around your home. Though it may seem like a daunting task, it is fortunately quite easy to keep fiber cement siding products clean.
According to James Hardie’s official guide, it’s as simple as rinsing with your garden hose and using a soft-bristled brush to wipe away dirt and debris.
Four tips for properly cleaning your fiber cement siding
James Hardie recommends the following steps for cleaning their ColorPlus® fiber cement products:
- Wash down the exterior surfaces of your house every 6 to 12 months with a garden hose.
- Remove dirt and debris by gently clean the siding with a soft brush or wet soft cloth in a side to side motion in the direction of the plank siding. NOTE: Clean by working small sections at a time, starting at the top and working your way down to prevent dripping or streaking onto the cleaned area.
- A low pressure water spray and a soft, medium-bristle (nonmetal) brush are most suitable for cleaning fiber cement products. NOTE: Acid and high pressure washing can damage the fiber cement surface and are not generally recommended.
- For stubborn dirt or stains, a mild detergent and a soft brush may be used. NOTE: For paint applied in the field, refer to the paint manufacturer for washing and maintenance requirements.
Can’t I just use a pressure washer?
Yes, but you’ll need to take extra precautions to avoid damaging your siding.
- Use a wide-fan sprayer tip
- Maintain a distance of at least six feet from the area you’re spraying
- Keep the pressure below 1,500 psi
Can I have someone clean my home’s siding for me?
Yes, you can have your siding professionally cleaned. On average, a professional cleaner will cost you around $300 to $500. Be careful to hire a reputable cleaner with experience working on fiber cement siding products.
Damage to your siding caused by improper cleaning materials and methods may not be covered by your warranty.
We’re here to help!