Like your roof, your siding isn’t just installed in your home to improve its aesthetics but also to protect the entire structure from the elements. However, because of this, you can also expect your siding to eventually sustain a significant amount of damage. As the homeowner, it’s your responsibility to know what these damages are. That way, you can have your siding replaced immediately.
In this post, Peninsula Siding Company, the pros to turn to when it comes to installing fire-retardant siding, lists the five signs that say you need to have your home’s siding replaced.
1. High Heating and Cooling Bills – Apart from protecting your home against the elements and improving its looks, the siding can also help you keep your heating and cooling bills as low as possible. As such, if you begin to notice that your heating and cooling costs are spiking up every month despite your energy-saving methods, take it as a sign that your siding is the cause and will have to be replaced sooner rather than later.
2. Mold and Mildew Growth – According to experts, if you begin to notice that mold and mildew are growing on your siding, especially at the seams, it’s a clear indicator that water has penetrated the siding system and has become trapped inside the wall, causing unwanted growth in the process. If this is the case with your home’s siding, contact a siding maintenance expert immediately to have it inspected and determine if it needs to be replaced.
3. Your Siding Needs Frequent Painting – A good siding system should be able to retain its color for at least 8 to 10 years or even longer. However, if you notice that your siding’s paint job is constantly peeling, chipping, or cracking and needs to be repainted once every 5 to 6 years, this is a good sign that there’s something fundamentally wrong with your siding system and will have to be replaced sooner rather than later.
4. Rotting or Warping – When trying to determine if your siding needs to be replaced, siding pros say that you should inspect the system with a sharp object like a screwdriver and specifically look for warped or rotting boards. With the screwdriver, poke the warped siding to see how solid the under layer is. If this inspection shows that the layer has begun to rot or grow soft, call a siding contractor to have the siding replaced immediately.
5. Holes – Holes in the siding of your home is usually a cause for concern as they’re often caused by insects. If insects have gotten through the siding, they can cause a bevy of issues for your home by nesting and allowing rain and snow to get underneath the siding as well. With that in mind, if you notice that there are holes in your home’s siding system, contact a professional and schedule a replacement as soon as possible.
Planning to have your old siding replaced? Simply turn to Peninsula Siding Company. When it comes to installing LP® SmartSide® siding or siding maintenance services, we are the number one professionals to turn to and we won’t let you down! Give us a call at (650) 287-4208 or fill out our contact form to get a free quote today!