Whether you are choosing prefinished siding like HardieBoard ColorPlus options, or you’re planning on going with custom paint colors, deciding on a color scheme for your home exterior can be a daunting and overwhelming task. There are many available color options for exterior siding and paint, and it isn’t always easy to know what colors will look great on your house. With the big cost involved in this type of project, you’ll want to be completely confident about your choice before your contractor gets to work on it.
With this blog post, we are going to give you some tips on how to narrow down your choices. There are a number of considerations that will help you hone in on that perfect hue that’ll make you the envy of the neighborhood.
Things to Consider When Choosing HardieBoard Siding or Paint Colors
- Rule of Threes. Visually attractive color palettes always include three hues. Your main color is your house siding color—this is what everybody notices first. Research shows that siding choices among homeowners these days have shifted towards deeper, more saturated hues.
The secondary colors in your scheme are for your trim and accents. Trim colors are used for your window and door casings, roof edging and eaves. Accent colors are used to add that special touch or pizzazz to your home but should be used sparingly. A great example is to have your front door in an accent color, like red.
- Neighborhood Vibe. If you live in an area that has a homeowners’ association, it’s a good idea to check with them before changing the color of your home. These associations often have rules dictating acceptable exterior color choices. This is especially true if your area is on the historic registry.
You may not want to copy your neighbors’ exact color combinations, but it will be wise to pick colors that complement the houses in your area.
- Architectural Style. One way to limit your choices for HardieBoard colors is to educate yourself on what’s appropriate for the style of your house.
For example, Victorian home color schemes can have as many as six colors, as can Craftsman homes, but this won’t work on a Cape Cod home. Colonial homes are often styled with just a single color with subtle color accents. Cottage country-style homes may look great with a wide variety of color choices.
- Surrounding Landscape. The natural environment where your house is located is the one of the biggest factors when considering exterior colors. A modern landscape combined with a pastel color scheme may not be the perfect match, especially in a conservative neighborhood.
- Features of Your House. Choose hues that bring out your home’s beauty and character, highlighting its architectural details. Lighter colors neutralize features that you may wish to de-emphasize, while darker colors draw attention to details you want to show off. Just remember that the best paint colors for your home exterior are the ones that will emphasize its most beautiful features.
- Size of the House. Big houses can look overpowering or gloomy in dark colors, while smaller homes with light exterior hues may fail to stand out and just blend into their surroundings.
- Climate. Sunlight makes colors appear brighter and more intense. Your color choice will look different depending on how long (or short) the days are in your area, and what direction your home faces.
Choosing Gorgeous Siding Colors for Your Home is Important
Choosing the perfect exterior siding colors is no menial feat. It impacts the value of your home, and more importantly, how you feel about your home. Figuring out a color combo that is visually pleasing and architecturally sound (design-wise) can be two entirely different tasks!
Luckily, there’s an abundance of inspiration online. Whether you want to take a quiz to find out your color personality, read up on the psychology of the color wheel or soak up visual inspiration from galleries, there is no lack of ideas to draw on.
We at Peninsula Siding Company are here to help you make the gorgeous home of your dreams a reality. We will thoroughly and accurately assess your specific needs, provide you with expert recommendations, and deliver a quality product that you will be proud of. Call us at (650) 287-4208 or fill out our form to arrange a quote today!